After You Donate
Take Care of Yourself
After your donation, take care of yourself:
- Drink more fluids than usual for the next 4 hours.
- Make your next meal a good one.
- Do not smoke for at least 30 minutes.
- Do not lift heavy objects or do strenuous activities for at least 2-4 hours.
- Do not remove your bandage for at least 2 hours.
When Should Your Blood Not be Used?
Your help is essential to ensure the safety of the blood supply. If you become ill after you donate, do not wish to have your blood used for confidential reasons, or have questions about your donation, please call 800-259-7233 or email. Your information is confidential.
Please contact us if you…
- become ill, develop a fever, a cold, sore throat, diarrhea, or flu symptoms within 48 hours. Tell us the symptoms and when they started.
- think your blood may not be suitable for a patient, please call as soon as possible. If you do not want to give specifics, just say “for confidential reasons.”
- within 14 days are diagnosed with West Nile Virus or develop the symptoms of West Nile Virus, which include a headache in conjunction with fever above 101ºF.